Yesterday I mentioned that last week I received some great handwritten letters. One of them was from my friend and former colleague Christy who lives on Long Island.
Here’s an interesting tidbit and teaser. Along with Christy’s letter, I found a letter addressed to a celebrity who apparently has a PO Box just one number off from mine. I’m not going to reveal who it is just yet, but I’ll give you a hint: he starred on the Emmy Award winning series The West Wing. Stay tuned this week and you’ll see my letter to him. Oh yeah, you better believe I’m sending him a letter!
What a fantastic surprise it was to find a letter from you in my mailbox. I am not sure when we caught up last, regardless it has been too long.
I’ve been busy this year with my consulting work, the Year of Letters, launching my own greeting card company (Second Story Cards) and some Board related work for some nonprofits that I care a great deal about.
Christy is passionate about music and her stationery reflects that.
I’m sorry to hear that your dad was in the hospital earlier this year. Glad to hear that he is doing better. While I have never met him, I feel like I know him a bit through your stories. Who knows how many young people, and adults, he has inspired to pursue their dreams in music. Does he still play…was it trombone?
What are you doing these days? Are you enjoying it? Still singing? You have a beautiful voice.
I do get to New York from time to time and might get to Long Island too. I’ll definitely let you know the next time I’m up in your area.
Thanks so much for saying hello – keep up the handwritten letters!
P.S. I’m actually supposed to meet up with John Wilson, Randi Tetenbaum and Kim Perry tomorrow. Wish you were here to join us.
Posted in Replies
Tagged family, former colleagues, friends, handwritten letters, health, keeping in touch, music, New York, Paper Source, replies, Year of Letters
I love going to baseball stadiums to watch America’s pastime. There’s something nostalgic for me, something that brings me back to my childhood when I hear the crack of the bat or catch a waft of hot dogs and spilled beer.
When I was 12 my Dad took me to see the New York Mets play the Houston Astros in Game 5 of the National League playoffs. Back then it was Shea Stadium, now they play at Citi Field. I’m no longer a die-hard Mets fan, in fact, I’m actually more of a Nationals fan today, but I have a soft spot for the Mets.
As I am in New York, I decided to head out to the ballpark and watch the Mets take on the St. Louis Cardinals. I thought it would be fun to leave a letter at the stadium for some unsuspecting fan. My ticket was up on the 400 level and I wanted to leave the letter up there, instead of down on the lower levels where people certainly didn’t need the money – oh, I almost forgot to mention, I left a ten-spot in the letter.
The game was fun, even though the Mets got crushed 10-2 by the Cardinals. Maybe we’ll hear from the lucky fan who found my letter.
I had to write this note on hotel stationery. I also tucked $10 in the envelope so that the finder could treat themselves to a beer or some snacks.
“90% of my salary I’ll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other 10% I’ll probably waste.”
Former New York Mets Pitcher
Ballgames can be tough on your wallet – here’s a few bucks to help you out. Get yourself a hotdog, beer or a pretzel. Or buy something for someone else.
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged $10, anonymous, baseball, Citi Field, handwritten letters, hotel stationery, New York, New York Mets, quotes, travel, Tug McGraw